You are browsing the archive for Idaho |

Help Request: Idaho

December 31, 2012 in Child Protective Services, Idaho

I am a grandmother who raised the two children of my daughter. They were born in my house, and she took off when they were 2 and 8 months respectively.

I never in any way restricted her having the children in any way. She didn’t ask for them that often. When the oldest was 11 and a half, she decided she wanted to be a mother, and just took them, and wouldn’t give them back. The oldest is 14, and has had to deal with the homelessness of her mother.  The younger child came back to live with us after just 3 months.

The mother gave birth to another child in May 2012. In Sept. 2012, my daughter became homeless again, and left the area.

The older child stayed with me again. The baby died under strange circumstances, a month later. I arranged for the older child to VISIT her other grandmother, half sister, and father, for a month or so, to remove her from the death of her brother, her mother’s homelessness, and obvious drug abuse.

Maybe 3 weeks later, her grandmother gets tired of her being around, not due to any disrespect on the part of the child, and calls CPS and gets rid of her. I later found out that she has mental problems. She never called me, or any of my family that are all over the area. Just called CPS out of the blue.

It has been a nightmare trying to get her home. Thankfully she is staying with my sister, but all the crap they want her to do is bringing on hard feelings.

I need help!!!

Enhanced by Zemanta

Kinship care vs Fostering

October 15, 2011 in California, DCF, DCFS, DHS, family rights, foster parents, grandparents rights, Idaho, Michigan

I’ve had several people in the past few weeks tell me that they wish to care for their own family members – as opposed to having them placed in foster care, with strangers. These grandparents, aunts, uncles and other close relatives are being told they must become certified foster parents.

Advocating for Children in Foster and Kinship Care: A Guide to Getting the Best out of the System for Caregivers and Practitioners Federal law requires that state social workers attempt to find suitable placement for “at risk” children, who are removed from their home. In many cases the state is merely paying lip-service and doesn’t actually follow the law.

This is a violation of federal law and the state can lose their federal funding. You should always report such violations of federal law to your U.S. House Representation. Call and request an investigation. You will need to provide them with a legal release form, along with the facts and any supporting documents.

Just today the Idaho Press-Tribune ran an interesting article:

In Idaho, more grandparents still in parental role

Many grandparents who take in grandchildren qualify for a $300 Temporary Assistance for Needy Families grant. The amount is the same regardless of the number of children in a family.

Grandparents also can become certified as foster parents, and take in their own grandchildren through the state system. That means more financial support. Monthly foster payments per child in Idaho range from $274 to $431 based on age; payments increase if children have special needs. Foster children get Medicaid cards and other benefits.

But many families don’t want to do that, Perry said. Some bristle at the idea of giving the state that much control over their families, even temporarily.

“They feel taking care of their own family is their responsibility,” he said.

Tracee Crawford, one of the leaders of the Grandparents as Parents of the Treasure Valley, a Southwest Idaho support group, said grandparents sometimes hesitate to ask for help of any kind, afraid that if they make trouble, their children will take the grandchildren away.

Becoming a legal guardian, another option, comes with its own complications, including steep legal costs, said Crawford.

She became part of a kin-care family when her daughter had cancer. Crawford cared for her and her grandson until her daughter died. She’s been in long legal battles with her former son-in-law over visitation rights with her grandson.

“To become a legal guardian, you have to prove a parent — your child — is unfit,” she said. “That’s really hard to do” — factually and emotionally.

Each state is different, which makes it difficult to know exactly what the law is your own state.

In my own case, I was shocked to find that while I was getting monthly kinship care checks from the State of California of ($357 – back in 2002), at the same time, another relative had a sibling to my grandson. The only difference was that they lived in Michigan; her checks from the State of Michigan – $123.  I felt bad for her because this child has autism and even in Michigan $123. doesn’t go far.

Be sure you check into your own states law, make a few phone calls, talk to an attorney and check out a few state websites before you sign anything. The choice you make could make a big difference in just how much help you are entitled to.

On that note, let me just remind you that if you accept money from the state, you accept all the strings that go along with that money, but it’s better than starving — maybe. We didn’t like giving up so much of our privacy, so we stopped received state funds many years ago – as soon as we could stand on our own two feet.

Knowledge is Power! Exercise your brain.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Idaho Attorney Needed

July 29, 2010 in due process, Idaho, lawsuit

I have a situation where the case worker was actually in cahoots with what at the time was my wife. They filed false charges of abuse which has since been admitted to.

The case worker also took my kids even though her own legal department told her “DO NOT REMOVE THE KIDS.”  The wife and the case worker were trying to have put in prison for life. The courts have stepped in and the cps attorney and given me full custody or an “extended visit.”

I need an attorney to sue these people, do you know of any in North Idaho?

Mike K. from Idaho

Letters from Home

April 20, 2010 in funding, Idaho, lawsuit

Occasionally, I receive postal mail from readers on various issues. I can’t quiet understand why someone would take the time to send snail mail when email is so much faster and easier, not to mention cheaper, but they do.

Yesterday, I received a two page letter with attachments from a person in Idaho that still has me fumming mad. I thought about scanning the letter in and posting the entire thing but I’m certain I have better things to do with my time.

This person claims to be a whistleblower living in Idaho but the letter doesn’t bother to mention exactly what they could possibly be blowing the whistle on. This man claims to be the defacto caregiver for a developmentally disabled child of a friend.

What has me all fired up is this man is seeking legal council because he believes he has been denied funding to the tune of $4 million and services of an unknown value that he was entitled to under Idaho law.

Excuse me? Most of us won’t make that much money in our entire lives but this person feels that he is owed this money because he is caring for a friends child? Well slap my face and call me crazy but that is nuts.

I took in my grandson when he was first born, the State of California paid me $357.00 each month to help support him. We accepted the money for a couple of years, then decided our privacy was more important. I have another friend, who took in her autistic nephew and she received $123.00 each month from the State of Michigan. The state paid for very little of the services he needs.

This type of thinking makes me sick.

He even went so far as to send me some sort of chart from the “Personal Care Services Codes – Idaho Medicaid” where he indicates he should be collecting $77.50 per day. What if you received nothing at all? Would you send the child away?

It’s time people start looking out for the needs of children because it is the right thing to do, not because they can collect some big settlement off their backs. Do yourself a favor, don’t bother writing me for help trying to tap into taxpayer monies. This is just a bunch of B.S.

Skip to toolbar